Thoughts Upon Just Finishing Season 5 of Friday Night Lights (Leave Me Alone and Relax)
1. Anyone else think that when Tim Riggins first comes back from prison, he looks…demonic? There were a couple times when he made this one face and I thought, “He’s about to do a monologue about being repeatedly raped.” His face. Dark.
2. The integration of past characters into the final episodes was for the most part seamless EXCEPT for Tyra, who just seemed kinda thrust in there. Also, just as an aside, when Landry (my fave? No, Coach is my fave, sorry-I’m sorry) showed up in the last episode, I looked at him and thought, “That character killed a man.” It’s funny to think about that sometimes, ie, “never forget.”
3. NOT ENOUGH MATT SARACEN AND GRANDMA, COME ON
4. This show NEVER stopped calling Tim Riggins by his full name at all times. I counted 3x in the last episode and I only started counting halfway through.
5. Buddy Jr. really grew on me.
6. What happened to Joe and JD McCoy? Every time they showed the Panthers, neither one was there. Missed opportunity for follow up there; am I not remembering an ouster of some sort? I NEED TO KNOW
7. I used to hate Mindy, but grew to like her in the 5th season. HOWEVER: WTF was with her telling Becky to have sex all the time? “You’re a teenager, you should be having sex.” Cool! Cool advice! Cool advice for a 16 year-old who has already had one abortion and has essentially no relationship with her parents. Be cavalier! Life is about sensations in and on your body. Touch liquids. Groove.
8. Julie was probably my least favorite character throughout UNTIL the 5th season when she really was given a lot more depth, but HOW GROSS was that TA? He was so instantly unlikeable, “lol.” Is anyone reading this? He sucked.
9. Anyone else feel like the East Dillon Lions became good too quickly? It was like, all of a sudden they were Panther-level good. I guess they were pretty bad in the 4th season. I don’t know, guys. It says I have 200 followers, are some of you reading this?
10. The fact that Alicia Witt is portraying a 16 year old’s mother is not only boldface lunacy, but also suggests to me that we are still searching for Debra Winger over here. I feel like we have been looking for Debra Winger for years already. Where is she? Are we ever going to find her? Some of you aren’t looking hard enough, maybe. I guess this is the point, though? That Becky’s mom is a way-young mom? It still feels weird to me. DEBRA WINGER IS MISSING.
11. Tami Taylor is my Meryl Streep, essentially
12. OF COURSE COACH TAYLOR WENT TO PHILADELPHIA COME ON
In response to this tweet by Jake Fogelnest, one of the world’s best grown-ups: We are rapidly approaching a time where the concept of having (much less minding) our own business will be entirely foreign.
Soon, none of us will have “our own business.” And no: an Etsy does not count.
DC’s one of the good guys.
I’ve been thinking about this a lot (Ha, “cool, please elaborate”). The Tumblr picture of Beyonce holding her baby had really been bothering me, and I was starting to formulate reasons why, and then this quote made me say, “Ha ha, YES, right, none of my business.” And yet…the reason the picture bothers me is specifically BECAUSE it has been made to look like something that is the business of many people.
I don’t know about YOU GUYS, but there is DEFINITELY a picture of my mom post-my birth in our family photo album, and she looks HAGGARD AS HELL. The woman just gave birth to twins (I’m a twin, for your health), she’s in a hospital gown, exhausted, having just finished evacuating her body of two fully formed children, etc etc “life’s miracle.” This is all GREAT and RIGHT. That is the way a woman who just gave birth to a child is supposed to look, both after the fact in general, as well as in a private photo housed in a photo album in the home of that woman and her family (we can debate the kindness of taking such a photo, but that’s not really the point I’m making here; if someone tried to “snap a pic” of me post labor, the next thing to happen would closely mimic the end credits of Jennifer’s Body). So, to see Beyonce, who looks like she literally got out of a make-up chair after 4 hours in it [EDIT: maybe not 4 hours, I looked again. She just looks too good, guys. Her hair??], get under the covers for this baby photo shoot is…unsettling.
"Oh no, Kathy Salerno of Eastchester, NY, is ‘unsettled’ -IT’S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!"
Yes, I know! That’s true! It IS none of my business! I shouldn’t have the opportunity to critique anyone’s LABOR PHOTOS! Is it RIDICULOUS HUBRIS (new Cranberries song alert) on Beyonce and Jay-Z’s part to construct photos like these (ie, “have to look good at all times, can’t show B with even one hair outta place”), or is it the whole media Baby Photo Industrial Complex that feeds the snake its own tail by making celebrities feel they need to do things like this? GUYS, WE ARE NOT GOING TO FIGURE THIS OUT TODAY, PUT YOUR DUFFELS DOWN, WE’RE NOT CAMPING OUT. Not to mention the fact that Jake Fogelnest’s tweet (hi Jake, you don’t know me and you’re probably not reading this, INTERNET) actually presents an interesting juxtaposition of one celebrity duo very much in control of their image and putting that photo out there and another celebrity, Macaulay Culkin, who was just photographed by a paparazzo and has no power in that situation at all.
I just can’t help but think of my mom, her perm all gross and sweaty, her glasses crooked, lying in her hospital bed like a potato bag, an exhausted champion of making two kids happen. What an awesome lady who just did an awesome thing, and she is NOT supposed to look good doing it. Please, Beyonce, don’t do anything to make anyone think women are supposed to look good doing that. When women say they wanna “have it all,” they mean sex and families and a job they love, too, not “look hot while I’m giving birth.” I don’t go to the gym in skinny jeans. Just think how awesome it would have been to see Beyonce’s photo with her kid, a photo WE HAVE NO RIGHT TO SEE, with her looking ROUGH. I would’ve been like, HELL YES, BEYONCE, I LOVE YOU EVEN MORE. And yet none of this is any business of mine, and it’s not yours either. BUT STILL.